Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Easy Beef Stew

Now that spring is here, and the fears of being 'snowed in' are past, it is time to empty the freezer of the winter stash of meats and veggies. Although it was a beautiful spring day , in the 50's , with lots of sunshine, I made beef stew for dinner tonight. My MIL gave me this recipe when I was a young bride. It is easy and delicious! The directions are for the oven, but if you are lucky enough to own a Nesco, that is what I cook my stew in !

2#'s of stew beef, cut into bite sized pieces
1 can of tomato soup
2 cups of water
2 beef bouillon cubes
2 Tbsp. bread crumbs
2 Tbsp. Tapioca [yes , Tapioca... the bread crumbs and tapioca help to thicken the gravy]
1 envelope Lipton Onion soup
4 med. potatoes, cut into bite size pieces - I use red or yukon gold potatoes, so I leave the skins on
3 -4 carrots, pared and sliced      
3-4 stalks of celery, sliced

Combine everything in 3-4 quart casserole. Cover and bake at 300 degrees, yes, 300 degrees, for 3- 4 hours, stirring occasionally. The time will depend on how large your pieces of meat and vegetables are ... Did I mention, it makes it's own gravy? !

1 comment: