Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

How boring are chocolate chip cookies? It seems like they all  taste basically the same. Until now. I just came across this recipe and have made it twice in the last two weeks. These are bakery style chewy cookies.

2 1/2 cups flour
1  1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp sea salt
2 sticks butter, at room temp
1 tsp pure vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temp
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
Fleur de sel for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchments , unless you have fabulous nonstick cookie sheets like mine!
Sift together flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
In large mixing bowl cream together both sugars, butter and vanilla  on medium speed, until light and fluffy. About 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the eggs and mix NO MORE than one minute. The eggs with NOT be fully incorporated. With mixer at low speed add dry ingredients , in thirds, beating until well combined,about one to two mintues.  Sprinkle in the chocolate chunks , beating until just combined.
Form mounds of about 1/4 cup batter on cookie sheet. I used the large cookie scoop from Pampered chef, leaving about  2 inches between cookies. Lightly tap each mound down with the palm of your hand then sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel.  The first time I made these, I did not have this but was able to find it in Hannafords, so today's batch got a sprinkling of it.. What is it?? It's a really refined sea salt! Sprinkling salt on a cookie??  Well that's my kind of cookie and I have decided that's probably what is missing from most cookies!
Okay.. back to the recipe... Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 18 min. Using the Pampered Chef scoop, mine only took about 11 minutes to bake. ***** Okay, just found out that I used the  medium scoop... there is a large scoop... so the medium scoop took 11 minutes and the large scoop will take closer to 18 minutes!...The cookies should be golden brown around the edges but still light in the centers. Let cookies cool on a wire rack. Store in air tight container.

If you don't have the fleur de sel, make the cookies  with out it , as they were still the best chocolate chip cookies I have had. Today I even used chocolate chips in them, instead of the chocolate chunks!!!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds good. will have to go to hannafords

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these sound so good, I too will have to check out Hannafords as I love salt on anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really good! I am going to have try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made them today. Used the lg PC scoop because it was 1/4 C as you said. They came out huge and it took every minute of the 18 for them to be done. Next batch I used the medium scoop and they took about 11-12 minutes to bake. They have great flavor! Taking them over to the neighbor's for them to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that my scoops are the small and the medium. I bought them maybe 15 years ago when they Pampered Chef first came out with them and at that time they were small and large!!! I didn't realize they had added a larger size!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they taste great either way- I have never used the large scoop until today. I took great pains to see how much water it held and dumped it into a measuring cup- yep... it's the large scoop for 1/4 cup. I kept checking them for doneness but it took 18 minutes, so then I just tried the medium scoop and they took around 11 minutes. Both sizes are awesome tasting, but I think I will stick with the medium scoop next time. Gonna put that large scoop back in the Pampered Chef storage closet while there is still some room left in there!

    ReplyDelete