Friday, May 11, 2012

Snickerdoodles!!!

Isn't it funny how a taste, a smell , even a sound, can take you back decades in a flash?? Well that's what baking and eating snickerdoodles does for me. It is one of the cookies that I remember that my grandmother, Mema, made all of the time.  If I was lucky to be at her home when she was baking, then I got to eat one when they were warm!!! Now that I am all grown up , and the boss of me, I always get to eat the warm cookies !!!!
I do not have Mema's recipe, but this is the one that I have used for years. It is quite different because it uses butter and crisco. I am sure Mema's were made with just crisco because fifty years ago , that is what people used when they baked!

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
In small bowl combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp. cinnamon . Set aside to roll the cookie balls in .
In large bowl combine
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup crisco
1 1/2 cups sugar
Beat with electric mixer at medium speed  until light and fluffy.
Add
2 eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
Reduce speed to low and add
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Just mix until all the dry ingredients are combined.
Roll 2 Tbsp. dough  into a ball, then roll into the sugar/cinnamon mix until coated on all sides.
Put on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
Bake 10-12 minutes until edges are beginning to brown ... centers will be soft ....
Let cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before putting on a rack to cool.

1 comment:

  1. OMGeeeeee!!!! My absolute favorite cookies!!!! One HAPPY girl here.. :-)

    ReplyDelete